Saturday, October 22, 2011

anniversary


As an energy conservation rule, I only acknowledge the others who also enduring the trauma of attempting to exercise in a steam bath.  Today during my morning run, a guy running in a two piece windsuit responded to my wave with an energetic point and snap.  I found myself unusually buoyed by this gesture and thought to myself “yep, go me, what a great way to start the day”.  For it isn’t just any day.

It’s my anniversary.

With myself.

Twelve months ago I set out with a dream, because I had run out of excuses to not to follow it.  Unsurprisingly my dreams have built upon each other to create new dreams.   But what I hadn’t expected was that I would finish this year living out a dream completely different than the one I started with.  From the land of my dreams I traveled to the land of my ancestors.

Those of you who know me (or have read this blog) know that it hasn’t all been magical.  Creepy people have followed me, constantly having to figure things out has overwhelmed me and loneliness has overcome me at times.  But wouldn’t that all have happened to me anyway? YES!

But had I never packed all my things into my parents’ basement (still sorry, dad), I certainly would not have stood at the base of Mt. Everest, developed an addiction to Bourbon biscuits, become an East African frequent flyer or had the shores of the Indian Ocean as a refuge. 

So this morning, I seconded the point and snap… because this journey has been challenging – and I’m still on it! Whoever reaches a milestone without disappointment and elation?

I would like to say that this year has left me with some profound wisdom.  In a way it has – I am now convinced of the strength, creativity and bravery of the woman I see in the mirror each morning.  If I could share one piece of unsolicited advice it would be this: your life is now.  This is your big adventure.  Do something, anything that you’ve always wanted to - the most important thing I’ve learned is that you won’t regret it.

No comments: